NIDA Releases New Guide for Those Seeking Treatment
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has recently released a new guidebook to help those in need of treatment make the right decisions regarding their care. The guide, “Seeking Drug Abuse Treatment: Know What to Ask”, provides evidence-based information on various types of treatment that are effective in addressing substance abuse disorders.
The publication provides information regarding five key questions an individual should ask when searching for a treatment program:
1. Does the program use treatments backed by scientific evidence?
2. Does the program tailor treatment to the needs of each patient?
3. Does the program adapt treatment as the patient’s needs change?
4. Is the duration of treatment sufficient?
5. How do 12-step or similar recovery programs fit into drug addiction treatment?
The Obama Administration is committed to reducing the demand for illegal drugs in the United States through a comprehensive approach that includes prevention, early intervention, treatment, and recovery support. More information on treatment for substance use disorders can be found on ONDCP’s Treatment and Recovery page.